Friday, August 3, 2012

Flannel Friday--Fairies

One thing I enjoy as I choose rhymes for storytime is finding something different to use in presenting the rhymes.  In earlier posts I have included a number of 3 dimension things but today I'm including something I found in Michaels' scrapbooking aisle on clearance.
t

These chipboard embellishments are stiff and colorful.  The fairies are about 5"-6" in height.  All I did to prepare them for a flannel board was put a velcro dot on the back.

The other nice thing is that they can easily be converted to stick puppets by putting the loop velcro dot onto a large craft stick and then the fairies can be switched from one use to another.  They can also be used on a glove as finger puppets.

I've also found that Disney has a collection of princesses in Chipboard Embellishments as well & I'm planning to use them in the same way.


Now that I have the fairies, what could I use them with?  The book STORYTIME MAGIC by Kathy MacMillan and Christine Kirker from ALA has the rhyme "Five Tiny Fairies Flannelboard".  It uses the colors red, blue, green, yellow, and purple for their clothes (sorry--my flash reflected off the center fairy, but take my word she's wearing purple).  VOILA!  I was in business!  If you can't find this set, patterns for the flannel board pieces are given on line at the link where you can purchase the book if you don't already have it.

I'll pair this up with the book, LITTLE BUNNY FOO FOO; TOLD AND SUNG BY THE GOOD FAIRY by Paul Brett Johnson.
Cover ImageCheck out this week's other postings at Liz's blog:  Putting Smiles on Faces :)


1 comment:

amanjohn said...

Ooooo! With two young girls we are all about fairies at our house! I saw those characters at Michael's too. Will head back and get them now that I have a VERY good reason! :o)