Thursday, September 13, 2012

Monster Mania

I love to do monsters in the fall since we don't do a specific Halloween theme.  Last year, I found blank balsa wood masks at one of the fabric stores for $1 each & just had to have them.
 
As you can see, I also had fun coloring them all in.  I used them in a family storytime and had five parents come up to be my monsters and follow as I read the following rhyme:
 
FIVE BIG MONSTERS ON A DARK, DARK NIGHT
 
Five big monsters on a dark, dark night
 
Made a very, very spooky sight.
 
The first one danced on his tippy toes
 
The second one tumbled and bumped his nose.
 
The third one jumped high up in the air.
 
The fourth one walked like a fuzzy, fuzzy bear.
 
The fifth one sang a Monster song.
 
Five big monsters--played the whole night long.
 
 
What was really fun was when some of the parents took their role very seriously--falling down & singing a made up monster song.  The kids enjoyed seeing their adults acting silly and helping out the storyteller.
 
 
I also had some holographic monsters that I found at the dollar store; I just had to trim "Happy Halloween" off the bottom.  These I can use on the flannel board when the masks don't work as well with my group. 
 
 
 
Hallmark put out a picture book with sound effects of "Monster Mash" last year.  I found a CD with the song and put the two together as part of our Monster Mania.
 
The Monster Mash Books
The book is out of stock on line at Hallmark, but you might be able to find a copy through another outlet.  (I found a 2nd copy on clearance at Walgreens this fall).  This was fun to use and then at the end, I played it again and encourage them to dance.
 
 

 
 
 
 



No comments: