Friday, February 22, 2013

Dr. Seuss Storytime

Each year we do a Dr. Seuss program prior to Read Across America Day for our toddlers, preschoolers, and families.  Since we have a Cat in the Hat costume that we use, these tend to draw a crowd so I'm always looking for something a little different for the flannelboard that isn't too small and is colorful.  This year I found some Dr. Seuss fish cut outs at our local Michael's store.  There were 12 of each color in the packet.  I then found a rhyme "So Many Fishes in the Deep Blue Sea" at King County Library System's Tell Me A Story.  I adapted it to:


So Many Fish In the Deep Blue Sea


From Nany Stewart  (then adapted by Sandy Wallick)
 

There are so many fish in the deep blue sea.
What color fish do you see?
(Hold up one colored fish.)
 
Blue, blue, this one's blue. This little fish is blue
(Repeat first refrain)
 
Red, red, these are red. These two fish are red.
(Repeat first refrain)
 
Yellow, yellow, these are yellow. These three fish are yellow.
 
There are so many fish in the deep blue sea.
Can you count the fish with me?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
 
 
I laminated 3 of each color so I can change the color order if I want.  I added this to the flannelboard I made using Mel Depper's idea of GREEN EGGS (NO HAM) and fingerplays from Storytimes Online to some of my favorite Dr. Seuss books and plush Seuss creatures that I've collected (most recently from Kohl's).

Flannel Friday is being hosted by Storytime ABC's this week, so check out that site for lots of great ideas.

No comments: